Monday, December 2, 2013

Independent Post #4


First and foremost, I don't expect you to watch the entire video, so don't worry about it.

I've only posted this here because I decided that, even though I got to be the DI when we talked about blogging and social media, that I didn't get to talk about vlogging nearly as much as I wanted to.

Okay, So, a vlog is of course a video blog, and the most common host for sharing vlogs nowadays would be on YouTube.

I became a vlogger in April when I joined the IGGPPC, and we have a different topic we try to stick to every week, and it's all in all a pretty fun way to connect with people.

Advancing technology is taking over our old definitions of what was counted in the definition of 'culture' and I seriously hope that vlogging and web video will one day be more appreciated by the masses than they already are.

The format of vlogging has given us the oppertunity to do things we haven't been able to do before.

One example of this would be a web series written by Bernie Su, and it is called The Lizzie Bennet Diaries.

This web series is a modern adaptation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, and it is told through the perspective of a 24 year-old grad student who is still living at home.

This series used social media, such as Twitter, to connect with their audience. All the characters in the series had their own Twitter accounts and they would interact directly with the fans, as well as with each other. It gave a whole new dimension to the series.

Oh, and I should probably mention . . . this series won an Emmy.

Honest, I'm not kidding. The series won an Interactive Media Emmy. Look it up if you don't believe me.

I discussed some of these ideas in a case study I recently did on the series, but the video I did for that case study was 20 minutes long, so I won't link it here.

But I will show you a link to the very first episode, in case you might be interested.


Web video has given us a whole new medium to showcase pretty much whatever we want.

And of course, behind the good videos, there is of course writing, so vlogs and web video are still very relevant to the material we've look at in this course.

Like with reviews! I've done a few book reviews as part of my vlogs. They might not be as thorough as they might be if I had to hand in a review to a professor, but that is more so because of the audience as opposed to the medium in which the message is being conveyed.

So what I'm more or less trying to say is that I hope the world of vlogging and web video expands, and hopefully this expansion will of course include videos relating more to arts & culture.

Okay, think that's all I have to say here.

~ topCAPcritic

No comments:

Post a Comment