Monday, December 2, 2013

Reading Response #5


I'm not sure if this reader response counts as cheating, since it technically wasn't an assigned reading.

If it is, I apologize. But I had an incredible difficult time resisting the urge to write about this piece. It's been constantly in my head since the day it was handed to us in class, and I'm pretty sure it's going to stay there as a means of inspiration long after this class is wrapped up.

Reading Response: "Give Up Being A Writer"
by Rex Weyler

As I mentioned before, this piece was handed to us early in the year. Whether it was the very first lecture or the second, I can't remember exactly, but it was definitely one of those two.

There is something about this piece that has me reading it again and again. As an aspiring writer, I find it very inspirational.

Since this is more of a creative piece compared to the works we were assigned to read in this course, it's a bit harder to extrapolate the "main point" of this text. But I think what the reader is more or less being told is that you shouldn't write for fame, or for the thrill of calling yourself a writer, and that all writing should be done in the most honest matter possible.

This piece is a way to give nearly every person that wants to be a writer some much-needed advice, conveyed in a way that writers can truly appreciate.

I'm hoping at some point to have this work posted, in some way, on my writing desk. That's how much it inspires me. I want to be able to look up, to remember these words, and to always look back at them and allow them to guide me in the right direction with regards to my writing.

Like many people in class, I too wondered about "That girl, walking up the sidewalk, clutching her coat at the crosswalk." And honestly, I don't need any sort of direct explanation from the author in order to feel a sense of resolution at the end of this piece.

That girl is a true enigma. She can mean so many things to so many writers, and in a way I think that's what Weyler intended.

With how often I have to analyse, basically rip apart, writer works as an English major, I don't want to get too in-depth with this piece. I'd like it to be appreciated at the level with which I'm able to look at it right now. No further analysis needed, at least for me.

This piece can be appreciated for what it is without too much exploration. All we need to know is right there, in front of us, on the surface. Honest writing, just as has been said.

~ topCAPcritic

No comments:

Post a Comment